Posts Tagged ‘minion’

Halloween 2013: The Minion!

Posted: October 29, 2013 in funny, geek stuff
Tags: ,

A few years ago I worked with Nathan to build a Master Chief costume. I had not done one yet for Gillian. Over the summer, Gillian and I had a date night to go see Dispicable Me 2. We both got a kick out of the Bee Do Minion. That seemed like a great idea for halloween, so October 1st we started on the Minion.

First up, was google to try and copy some ideas. I found a really good website with a tutorial here. I am not going to copy another step by step, I will just add the differences. First off, the materials. I found the wallboard equivilant from the totorial at Lowes. As of 2013 in Ralegh, NC the price of the wallboard is $35. So, it was a bit more expensive then was hoping. But I got it, and some bolts, and brought it home.

1I measured the rough circumference of my daughter and guestimated the circumference. We went to a Five below store and purchased an exercise ball just like the While They Snooze guys said, and went to town. The only difference was that we did the paper mache on the tube so that it had a lip to fit “over” the tube later. I learned a couple of things… first… I did not know  how to make paper mache. I found a good recipe here.   I used the raw recipe. Second, fans can dry paper mache alot quicker alot quicker the air drying. We did 6 layers, and alternated the direction each time. I dont know if it mattered or not.

2 Next I measured out my daughter next to the height of the minion. I figured out roughly where the mouth should go. We cut the mouth next, and she was able to try it on. We used webbing and some bolts on the inside to hold up the minion.

After that, we started with the eye. Gillian likes the one eyed minion, so using the cans was not going to work. Nathan is interested in trying to build an iron man costume, so we decided to use EVA foam instead of tin cans. We cut out the width of the mask and shaped it using  a heat gun. The eye itself was another piece of EVA foam which was shaped over a basketball. If you wan to learn about EVA foam, head over to cosplay.com and search there. Lots of good tutorials. The foam you see here is from Harbour Freight, covered with 50/50 glue water and then painted with spray paint.

3

I went away on travel for a week, and came back to a great pair of overalls which Jenny had made after a trip to Hancock Fabric:

4

At this point, it was pretty much assembly. I was thinking about paint or using felt for the color. But after failing with the poker felt, and watching this DeadMau5 tutorial we went a more stretchy fabric. You can see us putting it on here with spray on glue. The fabric covered up most of the bumps from the paper mache:

5

We did a quick Test Assembly:

6

And then headed back to Joanne Fabrics for a bit of leather for the strap (she thought we were making a batman costume), some white, red, and sheer black. The final product looked like:

7

And with the happy owner to give a perspective on size:

8

The hair is an old night light painted black. All and all, a good family project. The company halloween party is in a few days. Here is hoping it goes well! BTW.. if you are a redditor.. vote me up!

Advertisements